I love freezer cooking! It has literally transformed my grocery budget and my evenings . No more fussing from my little ones while I make dinner, it’s already made!
Our house went from having massive melt downs EVERY night at 5:00 on the dot to having massive melt downs only once in a while in the evening (my kids are still young after all). And my grocery budget continues to shrink, because freezer cooking takes A LOT of planning.
No matter how good of a cook you are however whenever you freeze a meal and cook it again your food will never taste as good. It won’t necessarily taste bad, but it definitely tastes different.
So whether you’re a freezer cook like me and all your meals are re-heated or you just need to clean out your fridge here are some tips for revitalizing your left-overs.
1) Use fresh herbs you grow yourself. Herbs do very well for even inexperienced gardeners like myself. It’s amazing how much brighter your food will taste with a little basil, rosemary, or cilantro.
2) Add some salsa or another favorite sauce depending on the dish.
3) Cheese! Personally I think adding cheese to anything makes it 100% more fabulous.
4) Reheat in the oven whenever possible. Do I really need to explain this one? Food just cooks better in an oven.
5) Make a side-dish or dessert. Your family might not be thrilled with left-overs, but perhaps some fresh biscuits or muffins will make everyone a little more excited
about dinner, and since your main course is already made, you’ll have time to whip something up.
So these are my ideas, what do you do in your house on left-over night?